Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Home Cooked Meal... Finally!

February 19, 2013

Now that I am home, I finally got the chance to cook! I love to cook, and I do very much miss it while I'm on the road... I want to share the recipe I made tonight with you, because it is really easy, and it turned out really good too! It is probably not the healthiest recipe there is, but it is not as bad as it seems either. Here it is -

Simply Great Chicken

  • About 3 1/2 pounds of chicken (I used about 4 1/2 - one package of thighs and one of chicken breast tenders)
  • 2 packages of dry Italian Dressing Mix
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
(This is double the rub/marinade from the original recipe since I used a bit more chicken, and it worked out perfect. Just covered all the chicken! But if you are cutting the recipe back, just use one package of the Italian Dressing Mix, and a 1/2 cup of brown sugar.)
My dinner.

  • Heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
  • Line a pan or two (9 x 13 - the kind of pan I use for brownies) with foil. (How many pans depends on how much chicken you are cooking up!) And also grease the foil a bit. I just used a little butter for that job. 
  • In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar and the Italian Dressing Mix. (Mix it together well.) 
  • Wash the chicken, and then dip the chicken in the dry mixture of brown sugar and Italian Dressing Mix, flip the chicken so it lightly coats both sides. Then place the chicken into the pan. 
  • Once all the chicken is in the pan(s), put them into the oven. The recipe says to let the chicken cook for 50-60 minutes, but I only needed to cook it for about 40 minutes. (So don't over cook it!) I also flipped the chicken over after 10 minutes, and then I flipped it over again after another 10 minutes. (So it would coat them nice and evenly.) Also you will notice that even though the mixture that you dip the chicken in is dry, it will become more of a liquid marinade as it cooks.
  • Take it out and enjoy! :)

Yes, I know that because the chicken is baking in brown sugar it doesn't seem like the most healthy recipe out there! But most of the sugar ends up in the liquid at the bottom of the pan! Plus, I made up for it by not having too much chicken, and having a lot of vegetables for my dinner! My boyfriend and I are both BIG fans of green beans. That is our go to veggie! Here is a really simple but surprisingly yummy way to do it. (I was surprised the first time I made green beans this way, they tasted so flavorful, yet they didn't have anything on them!)

Green Beans

  • Green Beans (I usually use an entire bag of organic green beans.)
  • Salt


  • Wash the green beans in a colander/strainer and sprinkle some salt over them and shake them around to spread the salt. 
  • Boil some water in a pot on the stove. When it comes to a boil, add the green beans. Let them cook for a few minutes. I like them a bit harder- but yet still flexible. (I can bend them a little.)
  • When they are cooked to the way you want them, pour them back out into the colander/strainer. As quickly as you can, sprinkle them with about a teaspoon of salt, and then shake them around. (The trick is to get the salt on them while they are still wet and steaming so that the salt will sink into the green beans; and you won't actually see any salt particles.) Also, the amount of salt is up to you. I know some people would want more and some people would want less. 

And there you have it! I can eat an entire bag of green beans like that!

A side note - I like to make a lot of food for dinner, (that's why I made 4 1/2 pounds of chicken for 2 people) because that way my boyfriend and I both have some chicken in the refrigerator for a few days. So when we need a snack, or lunch, it is easy to munch on some protein! I highly recommend that! If I have it already cooked and sitting in the fridge, I will be way more likely to eat that when I am hungry throughout the day- instead of something else not as good for me!

So there is the meal I made for dinner tonight for my boyfriend and I. My boyfriend ate twice the amount of chicken I did, but I was definitely full from the amount of chicken and green beans that I ate! Plus the great thing about this meal was that it was super simple! Always an added bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment