Thursday, April 11, 2013

Chicken Taco Chili

April 11, 2013

I love chili! I really do! But I never make it much at home for some reason. However, I tried this recipe out a few months ago, and I just loved it! And it was super easy! (Which is such a good bonus!) So today, while it is all gloomy and chilly outside, I thought it was the perfect day to make it again. This recipe also leaves a lot of leftovers, and it makes a great lunch or snack or dinner! Plus, it smells amazing while it cooks!
Ready to start cooking.

Ingredients -

  • 1 onion chopped (I used two, because they were not huge- and I just love onion!)
  • 1 16oz. can of black beans
  • 1 16oz. can of kidney beans
  • 1 16oz. can of tomato sauce
  • 1 16oz. can of corn - no salt added
  • 1 28oz. can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon and a half of chili powder or ground cayenne red pepper. (I used the cayenne red pepper today because I had just ran out of chili powder... And I used about a tablespoon and a half. HOWEVER, the Cayenne will make it a lot spicier! So keep that in mind!)
  • 24oz of boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • Optional - Cheese, Sour Cream, Cilantro, etc... for topping it.

Recipe -
My leftovers!
  • Get out your crockpot!
  • Chop the onions and put them in the crockpot, then add the black and kidney beans (after pouring out the excess liquid in the can), then the tomato sauce, and the diced tomatoes, then the corn (after pouring out the excess liquid in the can), then add the taco seasoning packet, cumin, and chili powder. Then stir it all together a little bit. 
  • On top of that wonderful mixture, lay the chicken breasts out. 
  • Turn the crockpot to low and cook for 10 hours or on high and cook for 6 hours. (I usually end up cooking it on high.)
  • 30 minutes before you are going to serve it, take the chicken breasts out and shred them with two forks. (They should shred very easily. They will pretty much fall apart!) 
  • Then add the chicken back into the crockpot and stir it all together. Let it cook for another 30 minutes.
  • Then serve and enjoy!

I have to say, when I made it today, it was a little too spicy for me! Next time I will for sure use the regular chili powder instead of the Cayenne. I think for the left overs I'll get some sour cream to put on top of it. (Should help with the spiciness!) But the flavor was still great! I love the combo of the beans and corn and chicken and tomatoes! 

Also, I have read that it makes about 10 servings, and each serving is about 200 calories. So that is pretty awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment